Friday, September 17, 2010

Buddy

Benjamin is my buddy.

When he was about 2 years old he moved out of my parents bedroom, and came to be my sleeping buddy. Around that age, he was a late-nighter...he LOVED to stay up after everyone was asleep and watch Disney movies. But he was scared to be up all by himself--he usually stayed up til about 2 in the morning--so I'd leave my door open in case he got nervous, or wanted to crawl into bed with relative ease. One night, I was asleep in my bed and I had that feeling that someone was watching me, so I opened my eyes, and there was that little 2 year old buddy of mine sitting quietly on the head of my pillow, just above me, and he was just watching me as he had his legs criss-crossed and smiled ever so sweetly. It was one of those moments that you NEVER forget. He could've done anything at that point, made a mess in the living room, peed his pants, ANYTHING and I would've been soo happy helping him clean it up...just because of the way I awoke to him sitting there. Obviously at 2, little ones are still learning to talk, so I asked him what was wrong, and he said in his little voice that the movie had ended. I checked the clock- about 1:30am - and then asked him if he was done or if he wanted to watch another movie. "Another movie" was his answer, so I got up and helped put another on, and within minutes he was fast asleep, and as I carried him to our little room I couldn't help but think, "PLEASE let him stay this way forever."
Things never stay the same, we always change, and we keep moving forward. But one thing that DID stay the same is his sweet and loving personality. I wouldn't be the least surprised if one morning I woke up to him sitting there again at the head of my pillow, gently and patiently waiting for me to wake. I asked that he stay that way forever, not being specific. He grew in years, and is now 11 years old...but his heart remains the same. He is the most beautiful boy I've ever known, and ANYONE that knows Benjamin---REALLY knows him---would say the same. He has such a tender heart, and is loving and fair with everyone. He is our Angel.
Benjamin remained my sleeping buddy throughout the years, up until the very end, up until a couple of days before my wedding. Because we have been so close through the years, I will always have an extra special place in my heart for that little one. And I will always remember that day, oh so many years ago...when I awoke from a deep sleep, and saw... an Angel.

No comments:

Post a Comment